Monday, January 31, 2011

Creative Brief

Now that I have chosen Homegrown as my business for the semester, it’s time to make some decisions on where exactly I want to take my design work and how I intend on accomplishing my goals visually. Ill start by describing what Homegrown is.

-Homegrown is a breakfast/brunch restaurant nestled in cabbagetown. The place attracts an eclectic mix of locals, including families, college kids, and artists. The back portion of the establishment is an art gallery named “Cornbread”. Homegrown’s defining features would be its limited menu (breakfast-lunch) which boasts hearty but healthy comfort foods, its use of locally grown ingredients, and its very local and friendly atmosphere. Homegrown is very new and has garnered a reputation with locals as being a reliable and worthwhile place to spend time at.

Ill now go on to describe how I plan on communicating the feel and concept of Homegrown through imagery.

-The name of this establishment explains what it is very well and that will be my jumping off point for all of my endeavors. I want to express how much this place is a “homey” and comfortable business, by highlighting its location in cabbagetown. Cabbagetown is known and can be easily recognized by its claustrophobic streets, historic but cute and dilapidated houses, its earthiness and quirkiness, and its “untouched by the outside world” quality. Homegrown is derivative of these qualities, as it supports its local roots with locally grown ingredients, and an art gallery featuring local Atlanta artists. In order to communicate these qualities I plan on drawing a lot of my inspiration from the neighborhood; the parks, the oddly built houses, the community gardens, etc. There will be a lot of picture taking and scavenger hunting through my neighborhood to find just the right influences to show off what Homegrown is about. While that portion will constitute about half of my concept, the HOME portion, the other half will be centered around GROWN. By that, I mean that I want to explain visually that the food being prepared here is supporting its community, as its ingredients are locally grown. In order to do this I will study plants as they grow as a visual reminder to those coming to Homegrown what kind of cuisine they are about to get. I plan on using a palette of mainly earth tones; deep earthy greens and browns, pale yellows, etc. I feel like splitting the name in two and breaking it down this way will allow me to really connect to what this business is about, which is very obviously rooted in serving, supporting, and being a very positive and healthy part of the community.

 Buzzwords
-locally grown ingredients
-community driven/community serving/community
-cabbage
-local
-breakfast/brunch/lunch
-roots/rooted
-growth/growing/grown
-hearty/home
-DIY

No comments:

Post a Comment